From 1092, as the Priory of Saint-Cosme was founded, to the 18th century, the canon community received pilgrims of Santiago de Compostela in the priory.
The history was marked in the 15th and 16th centuries by the royal presence in Touraine, and especially by the arrival of Pierre de Ronsard as commander of the priory. In 1565, the founder of La Pléiade received Catherine de Médicis and his son Charles IX.
Offering a favourable environment to poetic creation and simple pleasures, the priory was the last residence of the poet who died in 1585.
Not to be missed:
The Prior's house with the poet's workroom, the refectory and the church apse where Pierre de Ronsard lies buried. The rose gardens pay an appropriate homage to the poet and offer a romantic promenade.